Lancaster County Whoopie Pie Recipe
These are by far the best recipe for the original Lancaster County Pennsylvania Amish Whoopie Pie. This recipe comes from Betty Groff's Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook. Story has it, they got their name from the Amish men looking inside their lunchbox and stating, whoopie upon finding them. They were started by the Amish women by using leftover cake batter. These are moist and delish and surprisingly not too sweet. They also freeze well if wrapped separately in plastic wrap. I usually set them inside a cupcake paper baking cup. You can also add 1/3 cup peanut butter to the icing if you'd like. I like a lot of filling, so I usually double the filling recipe.
Cream shortening and sugar in a large bowl, slowly add eggs one at a time. In separate bowl sift the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Gradually add to the creamed mixture and alternate with the buttermilk. Mix in the hot coffee. Drop by teaspoonfuls 3 inches apart(they spread so only put 12 on a large cookie pan). Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool completely on wax paper before filling them.

Beat (on high) the egg whites until stiff and fluffy. Gradually add the vanilla just a few drops at a time while continuing to beat. Add milk, 10X sugar and flour (in that order). Add shortening and softened butter and continue to beat until very fluffy.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Take one completely cooled cookie and add 2 tablespoons (or more if you'd like) of cream filling. Top with another cookie making a sandwich. *These freeze well if wrapped individually and last 2 month in the freezer.
Make sure the butter is soft and the eggs are room temperature. Also, I use parchment paper on the cookie sheet. Use a clean flat stainless steel spatula to remove cookies from pan once they're done baking. You'll have to clean it off after each batch. Also, do not microwave the butter.. In addition, egg whites will not get fluffy if there is any water or moisture in the bowl or beaters (they hate water)so be sure they're completely dry. Enjoy :-)
Amish Whoopie Pies 1 cup Vegetable shortening or margarine 2 cups Granulated sugar 2 large Eggs (room temperature) 31/2 cups All-purpose flour 1 cup Unsweetened cocoa 2 teaspoons Salt 2 teaspoons Baking soda 1 cup Buttermilk 1 cup Hot coffee FOR THE FILLING 2 large Egg whites (room temperature) 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract 1/4 cup Heavy cream 1/4 cup Flour 1 cup Vegetable shortening 1 stick butter (room temperature for 1 hour) 2 cup 10X sugar Cream shortening and sugar in a large bowl, slowly add eggs one at a time. In separate bowl sift the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Gradually add to the creamed mixture and alternate with the buttermilk. Mix in the hot coffee. Drop by teaspoonfuls 3 inches apart(they spread so only put 12 on a large cookie pan). Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool completely on wax paper before filling them. FILLING (I usually double the recipe) Beat (on high) the egg whites until stiff and fluffy. Gradually add the vanilla just a few drops at a time while continuing to beat. Add milk, 10X sugar and flour (in that order). Add shortening and softened butter and continue to beat until very fluffy. Take one completely cooled cookie and add 2 tablespoons (or more if you'd like) of cream filling. Top with another cookie making a sandwich. *These freeze well if wrapped individually and last 2 month in the freezer.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition.
Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from.What is an Amish chocolate whoopie pie? Amish chocolate whoopie pies are two soft, cake-like, and chocolatey cookies with a light vanilla frosting sandwiched between them.
Tradition says that the name probably came from the cry of delight that they inspire. And I can imagine an Amish kid opening his lunch box and spotting a whoopie pie, and then letting out a shriek of delight, Whoopie! 🙂
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Buttercream Filling
Whoopie pies originated in Lancaster County, and they are one of PA Dutch country'sbest known and most loved sweet comfort foods for locals and visitors alike.
There are recipes for several different whoopie pie flavors that you'll find in many Amish cookbooks, including oatmeal and pumpkin. And I love all of them. But chocolate whoopie pies are probably the most common flavor that you'd find in Amish bakeries.
Whenever I make whoopie pies for my family, I make mini whoopie pies. Because who needs two giant cookies with frosting? Two small cookies are the perfect size for an afternoon treat.
Where To Buy Whoopie Pies In Lancaster Pa
So I use my 1 Tbsp. cookie scoop to make mini whoopie pies. But you can make them any size you want. Although I do recommend using a cookie scoop to achieve uniform size cookies since you are sandwiching two of them together.
For several years, I sold homemade sweet hot dill pickles at local craft shows. And I also made Lancaster whoopie pies to sell for a bit of extra cash. So I made giant whoopie pies to sell (using a large scoop). And they were a huge hit!

So make them big or make them small, it's up to you. But this old-fashioned whoopie pie recipe makes about 40 mini whoopies and only about 10 giant whoopie pies.
Whoopie Pie Mocha Madness
Then match up the cookies with the best fit in size and shape. Spread the filling onto one cookie and top it with the second cookie. (Sometimes I use a cookie scoop to scoop the filling onto the cookies, but spreading it on with a knife works well too, or use a piping bag and pipe it on.)
But there are certain risks in consuming raw eggs. And I am leaving two links to articles about eating raw eggs, in case you have questions about this. Is it safe to eat raw eggs? Can you eat raw eggs?
We always used farm-fresh eggs to make this filling, and no one ever got sick that I know of. But I wouldn't use this filling when selling whoopie pies because I know there is a slight risk.
Here's A Recipe For Pennsylvania's Greatest Whoopie Pie
And if you don't feel comfortable eating filling that contains raw egg whites, you can use a basic buttercream recipe instead, such as the one I use in my pumpkin whoopie pies (just omit the pumpkin pie spice).
I recommend wrapping each whoopie pie in plastic wrap because chocolate whoopie pies tend to stick to each other and the plate, etc. So it's best to individually wrap them.

You won't need a big piece of plastic if you wrap it across the corner, but it helps to keep them from sticking.
Amish Whoopie Pies (with Amish Housewife's Recipe)
If you've followed me for any length of time, you already know that I am a huge promoter of freezing baked goods to keep them fresh.
Most homemade cookies, donuts, etc. will dry out after a few days. But if you freeze them in airtight containers until you're about ready to eat them, they stay fresh.
The same is true for whoopie pies. They are delightfully soft and fluffy for the first couple of days (three is a stretch). So I freeze any chocolate whoopies that we won't eat within two days.
My Husband Has Celiacs... Pennsylvania Dutch Is Not Very Celiac Friendly.... So I Made Him Gluten Free Whoopie Pies! Anyone Here From Lancaster, Pa?
Individually wrap the chocolate whoopie pies in plastic wrap, then place them in an airtight container and put them in the freezer. Remove them from the freezer at least a half-hour to an hour before serving, and they'll taste the same as the day you made them.
They should be good in the freezer for up to a couple of months, as long as you make sure they are airtight.
![]()
Whoopie pies can be a little time-consuming since they are filled with frosting and individually wrapped. But they are definitely worth the extra time. And I believe that you will love these Amish chocolate whoopie pies.
Amish Pumpkin Whoopie Pies Recipe
Amish chocolate whoopie pies are two soft and cake-like cookies with a light vanilla frosting sandwiched between them. A PA Dutch favorite!
If you don't have buttermilk you can make your own by adding 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice to a cup and fill it with whole or 2% milk. Let it sit for several minutes until thickened.
You can make these whoopie pies into any size you want. This recipe makes about 40 small whoopie pies but only about 10 giant whoopie pies.
Must Try Desserts In Lancaster County, Pa + Recipes
I used my 1 cookie scoop to bake mini whoopie pies and filled the same cookie scoop heaping full to pile the filling onto my cookies.
Serving: 1 small whoopie pie Calories: 357 kcal Carbohydrates: 58 g Protein: 4 g Fat: 13 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g Trans Fat: 2 g Cholesterol: 9 mg Sodium: 168 mg Potassium: 134 mg Fiber: 3 g Sugar: 36 g Vitamin A: 22 IU Vitamin C: 1 mg Calcium: 21 mg Iron:

Posting Komentar untuk "Lancaster County Whoopie Pie Recipe"