Lompat ke konten Lompat ke sidebar Lompat ke footer

Widget HTML #1

Recipes Using Coconut Milk Yogurt

Recipes Using Coconut Milk Yogurt

Coconut milk yogurt can be expensive and full of additives when you buy it in the store, so I’m super-excited to share this fool-proof method for making your own dairy-free Instant Pot Coconut Milk Yogurt. (If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t worry– I’ve got you covered further down in this post.)

Using an Instant Pot makes this process easier when it comes to keeping a proper temperature for fermentation, but you can also use a simple glass jar in a warm area of your home for similar results. I’m still in minimalist-mode after living in tiny apartment kitchens for so long in Los Angeles, so I aim to keep my kitchen appliances to a minimum.

How

That’s why when I decided to finally take the plunge and buy the Instant Pot, I wanted to get the model with the yogurt-making function, so it could multitask. Using the yogurt function did NOT come intuitively to me, but I finally figured out a one-pot method that makes the yogurt-making process as easy as possible.

Coconut Milk Yogurt Recipe

Creamy coconut milk (the culinary or canned version, not the type found in the refrigerated section) makes a natural substitute for dairy milk in yogurt-making, but it won’t thicken up like the creamy yogurt that we’re used to on its own. It needs some sort of thickener added to it. The common thickeners used in yogurt making include:

I tried using tapioca starch first, but I found it difficult to achieve the results I wanted. I needed to use about 1/4 cup of tapioca starch per 2 cans of coconut milk to get the thickness I was looking for, and the resulting mouthfeel was a bit “off” to me. If you’ve ever tasted store-bought yogurts with a lot of gums and thickeners, the tapioca-thickened yogurt reminded me of that.

To keep this dairy-free yogurt vegan I decided to use agar agar flakes instead. If you’re not familiar with Agar Agar, it is a dried seaweed that acts very similar to gelatin. I bought in the “exotic foods” aisle where they sell Nori sheets for making sushi in my local Whole Foods, but if it’s not available to you locally you can also order it on Amazon. One bag will last you quite a while, and you can use it to make other recipes like my Vegan Strawberry Cream Pie or Vegan French Silk Pie.

Dairy Free Coconut Milk Yogurt Recipe

There’s also the possibility of using no thickener if you want to use straight coconut cream (the part that thickens up when chilled in a can) to make your yogurt instead. I don’t care for the taste or texture of the yogurts made with only coconut cream, as I think they taste too rich and fatty, but feel free to go that route if you’d like to.

As written, this coconut milk yogurt recipe produces a very thick result, similar to a Greek-style yogurt, thanks to the thickener and fat content of the full-fat coconut milk. The yogurt will be very thin and runny when it’s in the Instant Pot fermenting, but it will thicken up perfectly once you transfer it to the fridge to chill.

I think it’s also important to note that if you don’t care for the taste of coconut milk, you probably won’t care for the taste of this yogurt. It definitely tastes like coconut milk, though you can adjust the flavor however you like when it’s done fermenting, either by adding some sweetener or fruit. Coconut milk can also have a slightly grainy-texture from the desiccated coconut, so don’t expect the coconut milk yogurt to be quite as silky-smooth as dairy-based yogurts are.

Coconut Greek Yogurt Fruit Salad {gf, Low Cal, Vegan, Paleo}

I have been enjoying this yogurt served with my Grain-Free Pumpkin Seed Granola as quick breakfast or snack, so I hope you’ll enjoy this probiotic-rich yogurt just as much. I think it tastes similar, if not better, to the store-bought brands and costs just about $1 per serving, to help fit into your healthy eating budget!

-

This INSTANT POT COCONUT MILK YOGURT is an easy and affordable dairy-free yogurt you can make in your electric pressure cooker. I love how thick it gets!

If you don't have an Instant Pot, make this yogurt on the stove top. Simply bring the milk to a rolling boil on the stove top and dissolve the agar flakes by stirring with a whisk. Pour the mixture into a very clean jar, add the maple syrup, and allow to to cool to 110-115ºF. Stir in the probiotic powder, seal the jar with a lid, then wrap the jar in a towel to keep it insulated. Store it in a warm place, such as in your oven with just the light on. (Some ovens have an option to stay warm at 100º, if you have that.) You can also use a yogurt maker, a dehydrator, or a heating pad set to very low to keep your yogurt warm. Be sure the temperature doesn't exceed 115ºF or you'll risk killing the good bacteria. Just like the recipe above, you'll want to ferment the yogurt for 18-24 hours for the best tart flavor.

How To Make Coconut Milk Yogurt With Just 3 Ingredients

Calories: 262 kcal , Carbohydrates: 6 g , Protein: 2 g , Fat: 27 g , Saturated Fat: 24 g , Sodium: 17 mg , Potassium: 297 mg , Sugar: 2 g , Vitamin C: 1.2 mg , Calcium: 32 mg , Iron: 4.4 mg

I hope you’ll enjoy this more affordable coconut milk yogurt. Let me know in the comments below if you give it a try!

Instant

Reader Feedback : Have you tried making Coconut Milk yogurt before? Let us know in the comments below if you have any additional tips or tricks! We can all benefit from your experience.

How To Make Coconut Milk Yogurt

Subscribe to my weekly email newsletter for a free 7-day kick start guide. Plus, you'll get weekly meal ideas & new recipes every week!All you need iscoconut milk and probiotic capsules, which (if you’re like me) you probably have in your pantry right now. Score!

I prefer my yogurt plain, but it is also delicious with maple syrup, lemon, vanilla, or fruit. For serving, I made some of my fruit compote and added some chia seeds to thicken and WOW – it was amazing with the yogurt. Dream big, friends! Just about any flavor combination works here.

Satisfying snack or breakfast. I like serving mine with some banana, fresh fruit, and a sprinkle of Classic Granola or Sea Salt Dark Chocolate Granola and hemp seeds for added protein and fiber! Talk about an amazing plant-based treat.

Homemade

Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt Recipe Is A Quick And Tangy Treat

This yogurt would also be delicious on top of things like my Life-Changing Banana Pancakes, Best Vegan GF Waffles, Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins, 1-Bowl Banana Bread, and more! And I put it to good use in upcoming recipes, so stay tuned!

If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag your yogurt creations # on Instagram so we can see. Cheers, friends!

Recipe updated 7/24/17 to reflect another round of testing and troubleshooting. Switched recommendation of light coconut milk to full fat! Other considerations:

Homemade Coconut Crème Greek Yogurt

*My go-to probiotic is Renew Life Ultimate Flora 50 billion. However, the company does not confirm whether or not it is vegan. So a good vegan option is Jarrow Probiotic 10 billion, which I tested with the yogurt and it worked well! Keep in mind, one bottle of probiotics can not only be used to make dozens of batches of yogurt, but can also be taken orally for good digestive health! *Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without add-ins or sweeteners, using full fat coconut milk. *Method heavily adapted from the amazing Laura Miller. *Recipe updated 7/24/17 after another round of testing and troubleshooting! * Recipe makes 1 1/2 cups yogurt.

-

Serving: 1 quarter-cup servings Calories: 120 Carbohydrates: 2 g Protein: 1 g Fat: 12 g Saturated Fat: 10 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 25 mg Sugar: 1 g

Posting Komentar untuk "Recipes Using Coconut Milk Yogurt"