Recipe Cream Gravy Chicken Fried Steak
There are some classic Southern recipes that elicits a “Now that’s some good eatin'” after finishing it off. Chicken fried steak is one of those recipes. It’s hearty, flavorful, and pure comfort food at its best. I remember when I did the Dr. Oz show I had the task to make chicken fried steak healthier. I cringed at the fact lol. Some things are just not meant to be made healthy! Is it really chicken fried steak without the magic of being fried to crunchy golden perfection in hot oil and then smothered in homemade white gravy?
I’ll post my healthier take another day, but right now it’s all about the traditional chicken fried steak and all of her glory!

If you never had or heard of chicken fried steak you’re probably thinking what the heck! It’s a pretty simple dish. In short, it’s a tenderized steak (usually cube steak) that is coated and fried.
Southern Cream Gravy
The outside resembles fried chicken because it is coated in flour, milk, and eggs, basically the same stuff you’d use to coat fried chicken.
It’s fried until golden and crispy. So you get to experience that crispy golden crust and tender delicious steak all in one bite!
Now it’s pretty easy to see why it’s called chicken fried steak huh?And if that wasn’t enough, chicken fried steak is often served with a generous drizzling of creamy white or brown gravy.
Chicken Fried Steak W/ Cream Gravy & Thank You Mr. Walmart Man
Usually, though, country-fried steak doesn’t include egg or milk in the batter. It’s dusted with seasoned flour and fried so the coating is pretty thin and it’s typically served with brown gravy.
Chicken fried steak resembles fried chicken because the coating uses eggs, flour, and milk, just as you would in fried chicken. It’s typically served with creamy white gravy. I don’t get into these types of debates, I just eat all the things! And I love it both ways!
Typically you’ll want to go with cube steak (sometimes called minute steak). I prefer Angus cube steak. It’s a cheaper cut of steak and very flavorful. Cube steak comes already tenderized but I like to tenderize and flatten it even more. That way my fork just glides through that crunchy coating and tender steak. It’s a beautiful thing! Other cuts of steak like round steak can be used as well just make sure you tenderize the mess out of it!
Crock Pot Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
Tenderizing cube steak is very easy. To tenderize cube steak, even more, place the steak on a cutting board and cover it with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound the steak repeatedly. This will flatten and tenderize the steak. You could also sprinkle the steak with a meat tenderizer and refrigerate it for 30 minutes for added tenderness. I usually skip this step as it isn’t needed if you go with a quality cubed steak.
Allowing these steaks to sit for a bit after dredging is the key to getting that coating to be nice and crisp since it dries it out a little. Also, be sure that oil is at 350 F. (adjusting if needed after adding the steaks).
This creamy country-style white gravy uses half chicken broth and half whole milk. You can certainly use all milk but I prefer it this way with dinner dishes. It just adds a level of savoriness that I love! Be sure to really season this gravy up well so that it tastes good enough to drink! There is nothing more depressing than a bland gravy!
Chicken Fried Chicken W/cream Gravy — Mommy's Kitchen
Chicken fried steak makes such a wholesome, old-fashioned meal! I like to serve it with mashed potatoes, sweet peas, yeast rolls, / or Texas Toast and sweet iced tea to wash it all down!
How do I keep chicken fried steak warm after cooking it? Chicken fried steaks are usually large which means you’ll need to fry in batches. To keep the cooked steaks warm while you fry the others and prepare the gravy, preheat your oven to 200 F. Place wire rack over a baking sheet lined with paper towels and place in the oven. As you cook your steaks place them in the oven to keep warm.

How do you make brown gravy? To make a tan/creamy brown gravy, leave the brown bits in the pan, use beef broth and a little milk.
Chicken Fried Steak (with Cream Gravy) Recipe
How to tenderize cube steak To tenderize cube steak, place the steak on a cutting board and cover it with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound the steak repeatedly. This will flatten and tenderize the steak. You could also sprinkle the steak with a meat tenderizer and refrigerate it for 30 minutes for added tenderness. I usually skip this step as it isn't needed if you go with a quality cubed steak.
Chicken Broth Replacement: You can use 2 cups of whole milk if you do not want to use chicken broth. The chicken broth makes for a more savory gravy. The chicken broth I love is Better Than Bouillon paste.The Ultimate Chicken Fried Steak is fried to golden perfection and topped with the creamiest gravy you can imagine, sure to quickly become a family favorite. It’s hard to imagine a more quintessential Southern meal than Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy. The hard part is deciding whether you want to make it for breakfast or dinner. My family can’t get enough of these tender steaks with that delightful crispy, crunchy coating. And the gravy? Heaven!
I figured it was high time I share one of my all-time favorite recipes with you guys. I have been eating this Southern food classic for as long as I can remember. My Nana is the first one that introduced me to this delightful recipe. (Big shocker there – she basically introduced me to all of my favorites…) This recipe is an adaptation of hers – or, at least, as I remember it and I’m pretty sure she’d agree, that this really is the best chicken fried steak recipe out there.
Classic Country Fried Steaks & Gravy
There is nothing quite like chicken fried steak when it comes to versatility. We love serving it for dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy and my Nana’s Green Beans to even it all out… ๐ Orrr, if it’s brunch we’re craving, serving this yumminess with a couple sunny side up eggs and hash browns always does the trick.
My boys almost always order chicken fried steak when we’re out for breakfast but the thing is, it’s incredibly easy to make at home! Now, I’ve tried lots of subpar recipes in my lifetime but trust me, this is not one of them.
![]()
I’ve developed the ULTIMATE recipe that goes just perfectly with a rich, creamy gravy that that little ole steak is just begging to be smothered in.
The Ultimate Chicken Fried Steak Recipe With Gravy
Every layer of this Chicken Fried Steak recipe is seasoned to perfection. The steaks are seasoned with salt and pepper, the flour mixture is seasoned with herbs and spices, and even the buttermilk and egg batter is seasoned with TABASCO® Sauce.
) and my oldest wants it with and in every.single.recipe. I love the extra flavor it adds to this recipe and if you’re worried about it being spicy, don’t. It really doesn’t add any heat to the dish as much as it brings out the other flavors in the dish.
If you want to, you can always bump up the heat by adding in another teaspoon or so of TABASCO® Sauce, or, you can always just add a dash or two to the top of your steak. That’s how my Grandpa ate his and Reece and Chris do the same.
Chicken Fried Steak
Chicken Fried Steak is not made with chicken. Period. No chicken to be found. It’s called this because the steak is breaded and fried much like you would a piece of chicken. Chicken Fried Steak is made with cube steak that you find already tenderized at your grocery store.
The steak is dredged in a seasoned flour mixture, dipped in a buttermilk and egg mixture and then back into the flour one last time. Finally, it’s fried to golden perfection and topped with the creamiest, tastiest gravy you’ve ever tried. Some might even say that the gravy is the best part ๐

Now, I go into detail in my instructions below but I want to highlight a few steps here that I want you to pay close attention to before making this recipe.
Chicken Fried Deer With Cream Gravy And Ashed Potatoes
Refer to the video if you have any more questions or leave me a comment below. I’d love to know what you think when you give it a try!
The Ultimate Chicken Fried Steak is fried to golden perfection and topped with the creamiest gravy you can imagine. It's hard to imagine a more quintessential Southern meal. The hard part is deciding whether you want to make it for breakfast or dinner. My family can't get enough of these tender steaks with that delightful crispy, crunchy coating. And the gravy? Heaven!
Calories: 956 kcal | Carbohydrates: 53 g | Protein: 51 g | Fat: 58 g | Saturated Fat: 28 g | Cholesterol: 280 mg | Sodium: 472 mg | Potassium: 1017 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 10 g |
Posting Komentar untuk "Recipe Cream Gravy Chicken Fried Steak"