Gluten Free Scallion Pancakes Recipe
Once you make these gluten free + vegan scallion pancakes, you may never order them from a restaurant again! This easy recipe is better than takeout!
I went through a serious scallion pancake phase. I was a senior in high school and I used to spend basically all my free time at a coffee shop nearby. NEXT to that coffee shop was a Chinese restaurant where I would pop by and get scallion pancakes any time I got hungry.

I loved them. I love the crispy, fried outside. I love the soft, chewy inside. I love the sauce. I still order them any time I see them at a Chinese food restaurant. It’s just one of those foods that feed my soul. I feel like I’ve sufficiently hyped up my love for scallion pancakes so that you’ll believe me when I tell you.
Vegan Scallion Pancakes
These gluten free and vegan scallion pancakes are legit. Like LEGIIIIIT. They have that same fried outside. The tapioca flour gives it that soft, chewy center. I could eat this entire plate and if I didn’t have my husband next to me sharing, I probably would have.
Cassava Flour: made from the whole root of the cassava plant, has a mild flavor and fine texture that is perfect for gluten free cooking and baking. If you’re wondering how to use cassava flour, it’s great for baking and using as a gluten free sub for all-purpose of whole wheat flour.
Tapioca Flour: made from the crushed pulp of the cassava root and is a very fine, white powder that is great for replacing cornstarch as a thickener for pies and sauces and aids in creating a crisp crust and chewy texture in baking.
Healthy Scallion Pancakes
So let’s jump into the recipe and make some Scallion Pancakes!! In a medium bowl, mix together the cassava flour, tapioca flour, 4 tablespoons avocado oil, water, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and salt.
Fold together until a dough forms. Divide into three sections and form into pancakes. Heat 4 tablespoons of avocado oil on a pan over medium-high heat. Fry 1 pancake for about 3 minutes until golden brown, flip and fry the other side for about 2 minutes.
Transfer to a plate lined with parchment paper and continue until all the pancakes are fried. Place on a cutting board and cut each pancake into fourths. Whisk together the tamari, rice vinegar, agave, and sesame oil to serve alongside the pancakes.These amazing Chinese Scallion Pancakes are so crispy and tasty! They are delicious served with my simple dipping sauce and they are Gluten-Free and Vegan!
Gluten Free Scallion Pancakes And Salmon Teriyaki Spring Rolls
These Chinese Scallion Pancakes reminds me of our salt fish fritters that I ate while growingup in Jamaica, they are slightly salty and studded with scallions (green onions). We ate them for breakfast and theywere very popular back home. I’m so excited that I can continue to enjoy the taste of home without the addition of salt fish.
Chinese Scallion Pancakesare savory flatbreads folded with oil and scallions, unlike pancakes here in the USA they are made from a dough instead of a batter. They are served at Chinese restaurants or found in frozen sections of Asian markets.
I was inspired to prepare myrecipe after seeing THIS RECIPE, I usedBob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour to make the dough which came together pretty easily. You will find that you don’t need to knead the dough a lotbecause it is gluten-free and the dough doesn’t need to develop as with regular flour. Gluten is what causes the dough to be elastic, so the more it’s kneaded the tighter and more elastic it becomes. Because gluten-free flour doesn’t contain gluten, it doesn’t need to be worked and kneaded as much. You just form dough into a smooth ball and you are ready to roll it out.I added a little ground flaxseed, you can substitute with chia seeds. The dough is quite simple, but the addition of scallions/green onions adds amazing flavor.
Chinese Scallion Pancakes (gluten Free)
I divided the dough into 4 equal balls, then rolledeach dough out very thinly, brushed with roasted sesame oil and chopped scallions sprinkled over it.
Here I am rolling the dough like you would when making a jelly roll, then I roll dough into a spiral tucking the end in. The dough is then rolled into a thin circle with a rolling pin.

These Chinese Scallion Pancakes were amazing, they were crispy and chewy at the same time. Full of bold flavors, such a delicious treat. I made 2 batches and theywere all gone!
Street Style Chinese Scallion Pancakes (cong You Bing)
Hi, I’m Michelle, I’m the voice, content creator and photographer behind Healthier Steps. I share vegan and gluten-free recipes because of past health issues. My goal is to help you make healthier choices and show you how healthy eating is easy and delicious.These paleo scallion pancakes are pretty much indistinguishable from the ones I used to order at my favorite Mandarin breakfast joints—only mine are vegan, grain-free, egg-free, nut-free, and fried in healthy fats! These crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside flatbreads filled with minced scallions are delicious!
(葱油饼). These irresistibly crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside flatbreads are folded with minced scallions and sesame oil, and then cooked on a pan or griddle. They’re unleavened, and unlike the pancakes you order at IHOP, they’re savory and made from dough—not batter. Served both as a restaurant dish and a street food snack, scallion pancakes are usually eaten with breakfast.
To be honest with you, I’ve been dying to make these for a while now, but something’s always held me back. I think I was afraid I wouldn’t ever be able to make a paleo version of scallion pancakes that does justice to the real thing.
Scallion Pancakes (the Best Recipe!)
It took some elbow grease and a lot of experimentation, but I came up with a paleo, gluten-free, and vegan version that tastes pretty close to the real thing! But don’t just take my word for it; these paleo scallion pancakes got huge thumbs up from both Ollie (my picky younger son) AND my discerning and oh-so-blunt parents. My dad’s only feedback: Don’t skimp on the scallions, eat these pancakes while they’re piping hot (so the crunchy texture isn’t compromised), and enjoy them with a mug of strong Chinese tea so it helps aid with digestion. Thanks, Pop!
This recipe uses cassava flour, which is not the same thing as tapioca flour/starch, and arrowroot powder, which is starch extracted from the roots of the arrowroot plant. You can read more about cassava flour here, and about arrowroot powder here. And by the way, I definitely recommend using a kitchen scale to measure out the flours for consistency!

If you successfully experiment with other flours or fats, please let us all know in the comments so we can benefit from your experience!
Gluten Free Korean Salmon And Scallion Pancake (pajeon) Recipe
Add about 1 cup of the boiling water and mix well with a spoon (or your hands if your nerve endings are gone like mine). Slowly add the rest of the boiling water and knead well…
…until you form a spring-y, not-sticky dough. If it seems extra dry, add a touch more water, but watch out—you don’t want a wet, soft dough, or you’ll have trouble working with it. If it gets too wet, knead in a bit more cassava flour.
Divide the dough in half, and then in half again. Next, divide the dough in half one more time. If you followed my instructions correctly, you should end up with 8 equal-sized portions. Roll ’em into balls with your hands.
Scallion Pancakes Recipe
Grab one dough ball, making sure to keep the rest of the balls covered. (I just pop a silicone lid or damp kitchen towel over the bowl.) Smush down the piece of dough with your fingers, and then flatten it between two pieces of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to flatten it until it’s very thin—about ⅛-inch.
Carefully roll the dough up into it looks like a scallion cigar. Then, take one end and tuck it in. Coil the cigar around…

Place the “cinnamon bun” between two pieces of parchment paper, and either flatten it into a thin circular pancake with a tortilla press (which helps give your pancake a nice circular shape)…
Gluten Free Scallion Pancakes Recipe
…or roll it out by hand with a rolling dowel. I usually do both: I smush mine with a tortilla press and then roll it out even thinner with a rolling dowel ’cause I like my scallion pancakes extra crispy. Repeat with the remaining dough balls and roll out as many as you feel like serving.
Place a large skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add enough fat so it covers the bottom of the pan. Carefully transfer a pancake to the pan and cook for 5 minutes on one side (or until nicely browned). Right before you’re ready to flip it, brush on some hot oil on the un-fried side.
Don’t wait too long before cutting and eating. As my pop said, serve these pancakes while they’re warm, and with some strong hot tea!
Scallion Pancakes With Addictive Dipping Sauce| Bright Roots Kitchen
If you want to make the dough ahead of time, you can form the “cinnamon buns” and wrap those up individually (with plastic wrap or parchment paper) and store them in a freezer bag
Posting Komentar untuk "Gluten Free Scallion Pancakes Recipe"